- Models of Learning
- Comfort - Learning - Panic zone
- Deliberate Practice
- Pomodoro Technique
- Overview of MLD Specific Skills (e.g. TDD)
- Learning (repeat pomodoros until lunch)
- 1 hour lunch
- Learning (repeat pomodors until show & tell)
- 30 minute Show & Tell
Figure out target mentor group e.g. if doing a MLD on TDD, this could be all the people who have done some TDD before.
- Ask individuals in your target mentor group to raise their hands
- Tell everyone else to find someone with their hand up
- Give clearly defined amount of time to pair or group up
- Be explicit about whether you expect pairs or small groups (3s)
- If anyone is left over, find them a group quickly and quietly
The format is 25 minute pomodoros on a global clock, with 5 minute breaks in between.
- You should enforce that everyone stands up, hands off keyboards.
- Using loud projected voice to get people’s attention.
- Feel free to use Japanese words such as Hajime and Yame.
- Encourage people to mingle and chat about their progress.
- Allow people to discuss other things too.
Go around and look for common anti-patterns, examples:
- One person doing all the talking, using the screen or even making the screen unavailable to other people in pair/mob.
- Panic zone - one or more individuals unable to make progress.
- You may not have the knowledge to get them out of the panic zone, avoid the temptation to be dragged into the panic zone yourself.
- If you have the knowledge, ask them questions that help them get into the learning zone.
- Explore with the learner how they might discover for themselves the knowledge that they are attempting to seek.
- Find other teams who have that knowledge - suggest that they use the breaks to speak to them.
- Comfort zone - one or more individuals may not be challenged.
- Ask them thought provoking open-ended questions
- Challenge any assumptions that they have made
- If possible, question any opinions that they have
- Mention to individuals interesting things you’ve noticed that could make good Show & Tells
- Nudge people about Show & Tells gently
Show & Tell
Invite people to talk a little about what they learned
Have a screen ready to make it possible for people to show code.
- This could be to show their favourite feature
- Could be to show some code
- Could be to talk about things that they don’t like or found surprising.
- Could be to get criticism on code written during the day